Scuola Leonardo da Vinci - Scuola di lingua italiana in Italia

Italian language school "Scuola Leonardo da Vinci ®"

Learn Italian in Florence, Milan, Rome, Turin and Viareggio
Officially authorized by the Italian Ministry of Education

Scuola Leonardo da Vinci ®



Before starting your Italian adventure, you must be aware of all the documents which are essential to ensure a regular stay in Italy.

First of all, you need to check whether you need a VISA or ETIAS (European Traveler Information and Authorization System) to enter the country. 

In order to do so, we suggest having a look at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs vistoperitalia.esteri.it. It’s a multilingual website and you can easily choose your language of preference.

You will be asked to answer a couple of questions regarding your nationality, country of origin, duration/reason of your stay. At this point, the website will provide customized information about your situation and indications of the next steps to take.
Documents required when applying for a VISA:

  •   entry visa application form ( View )
  •   recent passport-size photograph
  •   valid travel document (it should not be older than 10 years and it must be valid for at least 3 more months after your VISA expiration date. If your document expires sooner, check here to know how it affects your travel)
  •   proof of accommodation in Italy (hotel booking, declaration of hospitality, etc.)  
  •   proof of sufficient financial means (the amount required is specified in Table A annexed to the Directive of the Ministry of the Interior dated 1st March 2000 -View )
  •   health insurance (only in case you are not entitled to health care in Italy by virtue of agreements or conventions in force with your country of origin)
  •   enrolment or pre-enrolment certificate, regarding your language course in Italy

What is ETIAS and who needs it?

ETIAS is an electronic authorization system introduced by the European Union (starting from 2024) to improve the safety of both European citizens and non-EU travellers.
ETIAS is a mandatory requirement for citizens of those countries which currently do not require a VISA to enter the Schengen area (find here the list). Citizens of these countries must apply for an ETIAS travel authorization to visit Italy for a short-term stay (generally for a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period).

How to apply for an ETIAS?

Obtaining an ETIAS is a simple and cost-effective process. Here's how to proceed:
- Online form: access the official ETIAS portal and fill in the online application form. You will be asked to provide your personal information, passport details, travel details and the purpose of your travel.
- Payment of the fee: after completing the form, you will need to pay an application fee. Payment can be made by credit card or other accepted payment methods.
- Data verification: once the request has been sent and the payment has been done, your information will be verified through databases and security procedures.
- ETIAS confirmation: if your application is approved, you will receive your ETIAS by email. Be sure to print a copy and bring it with you on your trip.
- Travel to Europe: with your ETIAS, you are now ready to travel to the countries of the Schengen area. Remember that the ETIAS is valid for a specific period of time and for short stays.
In case you need further information or if you are ready to start the application process, visit the ETIAS official website.


Our students can take out Guard.me international insurance specifically designed for those studying abroad. Click here for more detailed information.

How to get a Health Insurance

Health Insurance is a fundamental requirement to ask for a visa, as well as a residency permit.

If you have already taken out a health insurance policy n your country, remember that it needs to be validated by the Italian Embassy or Consulate before departure.

If you don’t have any insurance, once in Italy, you will have the opportunity to register with the National Health Service (SSN), which guarantees a complete health assistance. You will be assigned a local GP, who will take care of your health, prescribe any medicines you might need, rather than checkups and any specialist examinations. This service is free of charge. The registration is valid for 1 (solar) year and it costs € 149.77.

To register with the SSN, you must follow this simple procedure:

  1. Go to any Post Office and fill in/pay the payment form (€ 149.77). 
  2. go to the ASL Office (Local Health Authority), which is closer to your residence, with the documents as below:

EU citizens:

  • payment receipt
  • your TEAM/EHIC card - to be requested in your country before departure - or the E106 Model

non-EU citizens:

  • payment receipt
  • fiscal code
  • passport
  • receipt of your residency permit request
  • self-certification proving your enrolment in a language course
  • self-certification of residence


How to request the Fiscal Code

The Fiscal Code is an alphanumeric code that the Ministry of Finance provides to the Italian citizens and also to those who reside temporarily in the territory. It is essential to perform some administrative tasks, such as the registration with the SSN, the opening of a bank account and the signature of a rent contract.

If you prefer to leave your country with the Fiscal Code, contact the Italian Embassy or the Consulate.

As an alternative, once In Italy you must go to “Agenzia delle Entrate” in the city where you reside. 

You will only need your passport, if you are an EU citizen or a citizen of the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, (Hong Kong and Macao only), South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Monaco , Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, USA, Vatican and Venezuela.

If you are a non-EU citizen, remember to have both your passport and the request for your residency permit.

How to get the residency permit

EU citizens

If you come from an EU country, you will be able to:

  1.     stay in Italy up to 3 months without any residency permit, provided you have a valid ID card/passport to leave your country.
  2.     extend your stay after the 3 months, by registering at the Civil Registry (Ufficio Anagrafe), located in the Municipality where you reside.

Non-EU citizens

If you are a non-EU citizens who wish to stay in Italy to study, you will be asked to request a residency permit within 8 days upon your arrival in Italy.

First request

To get your first residency permit, you will have to:

  1.     Go to a Post Office of Poste Italiane
  2.     Go to the “Welcome Desk”
  3.     Ask for the residency permit request kit
  4.     Fill in the forms as in the kit with the help of the staff at the Desk

Once completed, the kit must be presented to one of the Italian Post Offices displaying the “Sportello Amico” logo, together with:

  1. a copy of your passport (the pages with your personal data and visa only)
  2. a copy of your health insurance payment receipt
  3. a copy of the enrolment in a language course, to be validated by the Italian Embassy or  the Consulate before departure
  4. a € 16 tax stamp (you can buy it in a tobacconist shop)
  5. the postal payment form you will find inside the kit, to be used to obtain the electronic residency permit (about €  30). Pay and keep the receipt as a future reference.

The kit must not be closed, so as to allow the Post Office clerk to check the content. You will be asked to pay an additional fee of €  30 for the acceptance of the application.

Once the procedure is closed, the Post Office will give you a convocation letter containing the indication on the day when to go to the Immigration Office or to the Police Station - near to the place where you reside.

On the day of the appointment, take care to have with you:

  1. the original documents included in the kit
  2. the receipts of the different payment forms
  3. 4 recent passport-size photographs


To extend your residency permit - in case you want to go on with the language course you have chosen - you can ask for a renewal.

An important pre-requisite is that the reason for the renewal request must be “Study”, the same as for the first permit.

In order to get it, you will need to replicate the same procedure for the kit as above, specifying that you are applying for a renewal.

Even in this case, the kit is available in one of the Italian Post Offices displaying the “Sportello Amico” logo.

The kit has to be given back to the Post Office together with the same documents as for the first request (point 1 to 5) plus a copy of the attendance certificate and exam completion related to the course you are about to finish.

The kit must not be closed, to allow the Post Office clerk to check the content. You will be asked to pay an additional fee of €  30 for the acceptance of the application.

Once the procedure is closed, the Post Office will return a convocation letter containing the indication on the day when to go to the Immigration Office or to the Police Station  -near to the place where you reside - to ask for the renewal of your residency permit.

For a better management of the procedure, it is advisable to start the renewal process at least 60 days before the deadline.

How to open a bank/postal account

If you are interested in opening a bank or postal account - to make payments or receive funds from your parents - you must meet these requirements:

  • minimum age: 18 years old
  • a valid ID card or passport
  • fiscal code
  • to deposit a small initial amount

Opening hours for bank offices are generally 8.30-13.30 / 15.00-16.00

Post Offices, however, open at 8.20 in the morning (including Saturday), but have different closing times.

To find the nearest Post Office, visit Poste Italiane website at the following link:



From Students for Students

Read all the student opinions and online reviews about our Italian language schools and courses in Italy


Make sure you don’t miss out on any of our updates... Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Please specify your position in the company

This field is required

This field is required

This field is required


Contact us

All the necessary information regarding our school can be found online, but upon request, we can also send you additional details.

  • Information center: +39 055 290305

Connect with us

We’re on social networks. Follow us and stay in touch.

Scuola Leonardo da Vinci has won the ST Star Awards as best Italian Language School in Italy